The stage of Early Years Education is called the Early Years Foundation Stage, and covers from 0 to 5 years:
Pre-Nursery I / 0-2 years olds
Pre-Nursery II/ 2-3 years olds
Nursery / 3-4 years olds
Reception / 4-5 years olds
Early Years Education: 7 Areas of Development
In Early Years Foundation Stage learning is divided into 7 areas of development. Three of them are called “Major Learning Areas”, and the other four are identified as “Specific Learning Areas”. The Curriculum for Foundation Stage is as follows:
Main Learning Areas
- COMMUNICATION AND LANGUAGE
- PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
- PERSONAL, SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Specific Learning Areas
- LITERACY – ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- KNOWLEDGE OF THE ENVIRONMENT
- ARTISTIC EXPRESSION AND CREATIVE DESIGN
Early Years Foundation Stage Education at British School Alzira – Xàtiva – Gandia Group
- A comfortable and warm environment. Our experienced staff receives children every day in a welcoming environment, encouraging the child to arrive at school happy and eager to learn.
- English from day one. Our experience shows that this age is perfect for accepting a second language, and that is why very soon they begin to participate in the teacher’s songs, stories and rhymes.
- Build self-esteem. Students engage in activities designed to develop their physical, social, and learning skills. The happier they are and the less afraid they are of making mistakes, the better they will learn.
Nursery & Reception
- Positive attitudes towards learning. These two years are essential to build the foundation for the future development of the student.
- Language and Mathematics. Language and Literacy covers all aspects of language, with special emphasis on the ability to speak and listen. In addition, we know that early literacy or Literacy are essential at these ages. Mathematics learning is achieved through practical activities such as songs, games and role-play situations.
- Knowledge and understanding of the environment. It involves learning about the natural and human world, as well as their own environment. They are encouraged to ask questions and brainstorm ideas, helping them understand their own world. In addition, we know that new technologies currently play a fundamental role, for that reason, from an early age we teach them to make good use of them.